Make Your Station Legendary
October 8, 2012
Legendary status and what it means in our business is worthy of discussion. And radio stations that achieve legendary status are unique entities that deserve celebration. In the dictionary, “legendary” is defined as: extremely well known, famous or renowned, celebrated in legend. So let’s break down how and why a radio station becomes legendary.
- Understand the significance of their past but never stop advancing in the present and for the future.
- Live, breathe, and embody the spirit of their market.
- Not only care about their community but love their community.
- Aren’t afraid to experiment and invent fresh angles.
- Have unified teams within all departments…from sales to programming to engineering to promotions. Even the receptionist is aligned with the mission.
- Have an incredible understanding of what great customer service means for its sales customers and its listeners.
- Have a flair for thinking big.
- Are calm in the moment of competitive battle because they know who they are.
- Have a great time doing what they do!
My favorite element of legendary radio stations is one of the things that you can only experience when you walk into their building. When you walk into a legendary radio station you can feel it, you can smell it, and you can taste it. The energy is contagious. The spirit is alive.
The legendary crop of stations is large and I couldn’t list them all here. But WMMR, WRIF, WMJX, WBT, WDHA, KROQ, WHTZ, WGN, WTOP, WBEB, KISW, WKLH, WFAN, and all of the others, deserve to be celebrated!
Buzz Knight is making Greater Media greater in his role as Vice President of Program Development. This article appeared in Radio Ink. Please visit them online at http://www.radioink.com/